This week in 5G we shared our fables with our 1G buddies! – Abbey
In Year Five we have been learning about fables. We have read many fables, annotated some, learned about the structure and language features of fables, and then we wrote our own. – Sophie
The process was:choose a moral, plan our fable, write our fable, edit our fable and then publish our fable. – Blake
Using Book Creator, we published our fables online. – Maria
It was fun to share with our buddies because we got to teach them about writing and using the iPad. – Tyson
We are planning to see our buddies for a reading session every Tuesday afternoon and we can’t wait! – Ethen
Click here to have a look at some photos!
Miss Corkhill & The Year Five Gold class.
Thank you for attending our Parent Information Evening.
Please find attached a copy of the Year One Handbook.
We are looking forward to a great year together!
Mrs McKenzie and Miss de Gooijer
Download (PDF, 1.83MB)
Download (PDF, 485KB)
Welcome to the first day of Year One!
We are looking forward to an exciting year together!
The first day can be a little overwhelming for both children and parents – we are hoping these handy tips will alleviate some of the stress!
Breakdown of the day:
- Our classroom door will open at 8:30am.
- We will commence our day at approximately 8:45am. A quick wave or kiss is all that is needed when the time comes!
- Our day concludes at 3pm. The children will walk down to the front of the school for collection through ‘drive through’. Children can also be collected outside our classroom – please wait underneath the big tree. We are encouraging all children to begin using the ‘drive through’ system as of week 2.
- These items are to remain in your child’s school bag: hat, library bag, spare change of underwear, lunch box and crunch and sip container. Please ensure your child’s name is printed on their hat!
- Water bottles are to be placed on our water trolley located inside our classroom.
- Please write your child’s name on their blue note folder. This is to be placed inside our note folder box located by our classroom door.
- Place glue sticks, crayons, scissors, coloured pencils, writing pencils and black fine liner pens in the labelled boxes. The children will share these items – no need to label everything…don’t panic if you have already done this!
- Leave your child’s scrapbooks, writing books and black display folders on your child’s desk – we will store these away later in the morning. Please ensure your child’s name is printed on these – no covers are necessary.
- If your child has a Medical Alert Plan (Asthma, anaphylaxis, Allergies etc) please ensure the front office has an updated copy of this and any necessary medication as soon as possible.
Our Parent Information Evening is being held on Monday 3rd February – first day back!
We would love to see a representative from each family attend. It is here that you will hear some of our important messages for Year One. Our Parent Information Booklet will be available shortly on the St Emilie’s website.
The breakdown of the evening is as follows:
5pm -5:30pm Session 1 in our classroom
5:45pm-6:15pm Session 2 in our classroom
*attend one session only
Music – Mr Dabbs
Sport – Mr Davis (Children to wear coloured House Sport Shirt)
Japanese – Mrs Aroozoo
Library (Requires library bag)
Yr 1 & 2 Sport (Children to wear yellow St Emilie’s Sport Shirt)
Health – Mr Davis
Science – Mrs Cogger
Save the date: Friday 21st February!
5pm -7:30pm Family Fun Night & Picnic
A great opportunity to meet new families to our school and catch up with old friends!
We are looking forward to seeing you all on Monday!
Year One Teachers
Miss Tanya de Gooijer and Mrs Simone McKenzie
Year One Educational Assistants
Mrs Jo Roberto and Mrs Amy Andrews
Guided Inquiry – Celebrating Differences (Social Justice)
We are enjoying celebrating our cultural differences in Year One and Year Two!
Our recent Cultural Fair allowed our students to…
- Develop an appreciation of multicultural Australia, embracing different foods, games, music, and traditions from different cultures.
- Show respect for those who sound, look and act differently to themselves.
- Understand that although we are all different, we all hold similar values, and we all have the right to be treated fairly.
We had a wonderful time at our Cultural Fair!
A huge thank you to the wonderful Mums, Dads and family friends who volunteered their time, prepared presentations, played games with us, prepared yummy food for us to taste and passionately shared their culture…with a smile and a huge amount of patience!
We loved our morning together!
This term, our guided inquiry topic is Social Justice – Celebrating Cultures. As a part of our exploration into the concept of Social Justice, we are focusing on multiculturalism and the development of empathy, understanding and interest in those from different cultures.
In order to explore and celebrate the cultures that already exist in our school, we are organising a ‘Cultural Fair’ for the Year One and Two classes on
Tuesday 13th August. We are inviting all parents, grandparents and friends to be presenters at our fair. Presenters will be asked to share their knowledge and experiences of a particular culture to small groups of children. During the fair, the children will be rotating around to the various ‘stalls’ to learn as much as they can about the various cultural backgrounds that exist in our school community.
Examples of what you may present are;
● cooking demonstration / foods from other cultures
● traditional dance, instruments or music
● traditional games
● items of cultural significance
● traditional clothing or costumes
● photographs of significant buildings / places
● books or songs in another language
Please return the attached form by Wednesday 31st July (we have extended the return date) if you or anyone you know will be available to present on the day…or team up with another parent?
Further details are attached. A hard copy of this note was sent home to families during the last week of Term two.
We had huge success with our Community Fair earlier in the year and are looking forward to making our Cultural Fair even better!
Download (PDF, 191KB)
Year One and Year Two Teachers