The Year 6 students were part of a First Aid Incursion where they learnt the basic skills required to assist someone in need and sustain life in an emergency situation.
Students learnt this process by memorising about the acronym:
Send for help 000
Some interesting facts that we now know are:
- The tongue blocks your airway when you are unconscious. -Tomos
- More incidents occur on school holidays. – Sebastian
- It doesn’t matter if someone has broken bones, you still put them in the recovery position so they can breathe.- Chloe and Lauren
- In the recovery position you need to have one arm and leg bent so that you roll forward.- Jordana
- You don’t have to be a certain age to save someone’s life.-Gigi
- If you don’t get them breathing within 3-5 minutes they could get brain damage or die. – Blake
- The casualty has to receive two full breaths within 10 seconds- Cara
- On average it takes an ambulance a minimum of 15 minutes to get to a prioity one emergency. -James
- Whilst you are on the phone the operator asks you to check the casulaty’s breathing every two minutes. -Nyasha
- The operator stays on the phone whe whole time and talks you through what to do. -Ella
- You have to pat down the casulaty’s body to check for blood. -Megan
- The first thing you must do is check for danger around the casualty so that tyou don’t put yourself in any danger.- Lochlen
Friday 11th September
House Field Events Timetable
Year 4: 9am to 10.20am
Year 5: 11am to 12.20pm
Year 6: 1.20pm to 2.40pm
This Saturday 5th September from 2.30pm to 5.00pm, you are invited to come and join the Parish Pastoral team, Fr Chien and Fr Anibal, Anne, Stuart and I and parishioners from St Emilies, to pause and reflect upon the idea of Christian service, in relation to being a volunteer here at St Emilie’s. Ministry teams will share in small groups about their journey so far and what they hope to achieve into the future.
There are many different ministries operating in the St Emilie’s parish and they are always looking for new people to join them, as new people bring fresh ideas and new energy! If you would like to come and see if there is a ministry that you might like to be part of please come along!
Please BYO small plate for afternoon tea if you can and phone Kim or Ashana on 92569696 to RSVP.
Hope to see you there! 🙂