Spelling in Year One
Each week the Year 1 children will have been introduced to a new phonic sound in class and they will also have completed a variety of activities to help them spell words with our focus sound.
The children have completed a mini spelling quiz to determine their focus sound and will now bring home a list of words to practise. We suggest keeping all the spelling sounds in a display book or folder for easy access throughout the year – they are yours to keep at home, in a safe place.
Our aim is to make spelling relevant and fun!
Some suggestions are…
- Making words with play dough
- Using magazine letters to create words
- Writing the spelling words with chalk or in shaving cream
- Have a go at putting the words into sentences
- Using magnetic letters to spell words
- Using a variety of colours (pencils/textas) to make ‘rainbow’ words
If you have any questions please let us know.
Have fun spelling and remember to keep it positive! 🙂
Miss Tanya de Gooijer and Miss Melissa Gumbleton
Year 1 Class Teachers
PS In class, while children will have access to charts and word banks, they will be supported to ‘have a go’ at spelling in their daily writing. Spelling is a developmental process in these early years and we will continue to support and celebrate their many attempts to hear sounds in words, so that they feel confident as writers!