Welcome back to another busy term!
Click on the link below to view our Term 2 Newsletter.
We love reading stories in Year One!
This week we looked more closely at the story Edwina the Emu by Sheena Knowles and used this story to complete a variety of activities.
We learnt 3 new vocabulary words while enjoying this story…announce, perfect and require. We wrote some great sentences using these words!
We put our super sentence writing to the test and wrote our own mini retells of the story! We had to think about the beginning, middle and end of the story. Super sentences make sense, use punctuation correctly and tell us information about someone or something! We sure do love writing!!
We even created our own Edwinas! We were given a choice as to how we made our emus…paint, charcoal, collage materials…some of us even made puppets! We were encouraged to think creativity and to use various materials in interesting ways! We loved how our Edwina’s turned out! They are all so different!
Year One is such a busy place!
Pop into the Office to see our work on display!!
We read the stories I Can Be Safe, Franklin In the Dark and Franklin Gets Lost. We brainstormed how the characters were feeling when they were feeling safe and unsafe.
We then discussed all the emotions we feel when we feel safe or unsafe and talked about the places we feel the most safe. We used the iPads in pairs and took photos of our friends showing the different feelings with our facial expressions. We had so much fun!
This was a great opportunity for us to incorporate technology into our learning. We have learnt;
- How to hold the iPad to take photos-to remove the cover before taking photos 🙂
- Using the zoom function
- How to delete photos
And, of course.. How to take selfies!
Helpful Hints Week 7
- Parent Teacher Interviews continue in Week 7. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please be on time as each interview is scheduled for 10-12 minutes.
- Please make sure the sight word book and readers remain in your child’s blue note folder. Folders are checked daily so make sure the note folder is brought to school everyday.
Exploring Place Value in Year One
We have been busy working in groups during Maths rotations! Our focus has been place value…and we have been putting our number knowledge to the test!
Our ‘hands on’ activities have allowed us to…
- Practice our number writing…some of us have challenged ourselves and have learnt numbers beyond 100!
- Use hundreds, tens and ones blocks to represent numbers.
- Use the language of smaller than, bigger than, greater than and less than to describe numbers.
- Skip count in 10’s and 5’s…we are now learning to skip count in 2’s!
You might like to practice these at home.
We have enjoyed sharing ideas, working with our friends, cooperating and learning from each other!
Helpful Hints for Week 6
- Parent Teacher Interviews commence Monday of Week 6. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please be on time as each interview is scheduled for 10-12 minutes. We look forward to seeing everyone over the next two weeks.
- The Year Ones will be attending the Year Three’s Assembly on Friday 12th March – please arrive on time as the Assembly will start at 8:45am.
Parents of Year Three children are invited to attend the assembly and if there are any spare seats after they are seated, parents of other year levels may also attend.
See you tonight ! 🙂
Every week we have a book focus where we learn new vocabulary words and discuss the meaning of each word.
Teaching vocabulary skills is important to help children express themselves clearly and meaningfully in written and spoken formats.
We were so impressed that our story matched the current celebration of Chinese New Year! We enjoyed listening to our class mates talk about how they celebrated Chinese New Year with their families.
We wrote sentences using the new vocabulary words we have learnt from the story and then created our very own ferocious dragons.
Here are some of our sentences using the vocabulary words ferocious, groan and sprinkle.
I made a ferocious face to scare my dad.
I had fairy floss and my sister groaned because she had none.
I sprinkled hundreds and thousands on a chocolate cupcake at home and it was delicious!
The lion was very ferocious. It has ferocious teeth and it has a loud roar.
The fox is very ferocious and it is white and red. It lives in the bush.
The volcano is very ferocious. There is hot, red lava in it. It is dark and steamy black.
We followed many instructions to make our ferocious dragons…they turned out great!
Helpful Hints for Week 5
- Look out for your child’s reading book, spelling list and sight word book. These will be sent home on Tuesday.
- Please return the Parent Teacher Meeting Questionnaire before Thursday 4th March. We are looking forward to meeting you during this time.